Sunday 13 February 2011

The Novel's Finished

The novel's finished and we're editing it - that will be finished in a few days. Then just need to find a literary (writers) agent - does anyone know one? The tentative title, thought up by Anna, is The Importance of Being Arthur.

Now that it's finished, I know what it's about but we continue with the story from the last blog ...

"Oh," said Mary, reverting to her favourite word for now. "You seem to know a lot about it?"

"Yeah, that's another reason I'm on the other side of the world, here in London," said Halee, suddenly serious. "I fell in love and we were to be married … oh, hell, it would have been our anniversary next week, actually. Then he was diagnosed with cancer, lymphoma, and was gone two months later. I just couldn't stand to be reminded of anything about him so I ran and here I am." She wiped her eyes quickly. "Oh heck, I didn't mean to talk about this now. How's my mascara?"

"It could do with some repair, actually," said Mary, surprised and relieved by the quick return to practicalities. "Fix yourself up and we'd better get going … oh, gosh, which toilet do I go to, the men's or the ladies'?" Both of them smiled and Halee slipped off to patch herself up while Mary nodded imperceptibly to Ahmed as he passed again, thinking that he looked very exotic and handsome in his traditional dress. She also wondered about love and, if something happened to Sam, what would she do. Would she run to forget, like Halee? Would she work harder to forget? She tried to shake off the thoughts that really didn't want to let go.

"Right, let's go, shall we?" suggested Halee perkily as she returned.
The two women marched off down the street looking, in the artificial glow of the lights, like a very happy and in-love couple - chatting, smiling and, under it all, terrified of what might happen next. They arrived at the blue door a few minutes early, saw no one there, looked at each other nervously and then nodded in assent. Without speaking, their minds agreed that they keep walking and return to the door at the exact time. Mary was bemused at how their thinking was synchronised. Slightly comforted by seeing Ahmed stopping outside Pizza Express, and then going inside, they continued their jaunty (and nervous) way down Charing Cross Road, towards Trafalgar Square.

Back at the blue door, at the stoke of nine o'clock, Mary's heart skipped a beat as she saw Sam lounging in the shadow of the doorway. He looked gaunt, unshaven but smiling bravely.

"Give me the case, keep walking and return in three minutes," he said quickly, seriously.

"Oh … oh, yes, here it is," said Mary, her body drawn to him as a lizard to the sun.

"Go Mary, you must go now," said Sam, his hand at her shoulder, pushing her on.

"Yes, yes, we're going," she said dumbly as she felt Halee pulling on her sleeve.

"Bother!" said Mary, angry and confused as they turned the corner into Orange Street. "Why does everything turn to mush, just when it starts to come right?"

"Yeah, my thoughts entirely," said Halee, bitterly. "The stupid universe sends you this wonderful man and, just when love hits, whips him away. It's so unfair!"

"Oh, Halee, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to upset you too. I was just thinking of myself," said Mary, her own angst dissolved a little in the care of another.

"That's okay, Miss Collins," said Halee, smiling through her tears. "I suppose I've got to talk about it, deal with it, let it go sometime, don't I? I've been running from it too long."

"And how long has this all been since he … passed away?" asked Mary, sensing Halee's pain.

"Oh heck, about four years now. I thought I had been coping with it all so well, till now," said Halee grinning through her tears. "It's all your fault!" They both laughed.

"Try saying naughty naked knees," said Mary. "It always made me laugh when I was young."

"Naughty naked knees!" yelled Halee into the night. They both laughed again while passers-by looked around.

"Okay, let's get back on the case. Our three minutes are nearly up!" said Halee, taking Mary's arm and steering her around. "Let's do the deed and do it well. No faltering this time."

"Okay for you to say," said Mary smiling grimly as the fear and longing threatened to drown her. They slowed at the door again and Sam was there with the briefcase.

"Take the case, Mary, take it home and I'll try to ring you in an hour," said Sam efficiently, quickly. "I'll do my best to call you then. Go now, my dear and, remember, you'll see all in the clear light of morning."

Mary faltered again, despite her determination not to this time.
"Go, my dear, go!" whispered Sam earnestly. She felt Halee pulling on her arm. She took the case from Sam and left, determined not to think or to look back. "Yes, the clear light of morning. Now go, my dear, go!"

As they rounded the corner, back into Orange Street, Mary stopped and leaned against a shop window, relieved they'd made the exchange safely … whatever it was they'd exchanged. She realised, only then, that her heart was thudding and she was sweating like a Turkish wrestler. Her body was quivering and she found it difficult to stand upright. She had no idea of the dangers they might have expected but, now they were over, the feeling of release was overwhelming. She looked up and saw Ahmed across the street, waving to her, animatedly … angry, perhaps.
"Come on, Miss Collins, we can't stop now," said Halee. "Let's rest when we get you home."

"I just need to catch up with myself now that it's over," said Mary, breathing heavily.

"It's not over yet," said Halee. "We still don't know if we were delivering something or taking something away for Mr Lord."

"Oh you're right!" said Mary, her body suddenly in charge again. Ahmed was trying to cross the street, dodging the continual stream of cars, taxis and buses. "What's Ahmed want?"

"I think he wants us to keep moving," said Halee, pulling on Mary's arm again.

No comments:

Post a Comment