Friday 11 March 2011

54 - BU$IN£SS BOOKS

Looks Like I've become a writers (literary) agent with my own imprint - BU$IN£SS BOOKS. John Hunt popped in yesterday for a coffee and a chat and we've now signed an agreement. All done and so simply!

When I think back to all the job interviews I've ever had, most of them were just plain hard work … unnecessarily cumbersome:
  1. Write CV and cover letter,
  2. Search for jobs,
  3. Send off CVs and cover letters to recruitment agents and prospective employers,
  4. Have an interview with an agent,
  5. Complete a personality profile test,
  6. Have a first interview with the employer,
  7. Have a second interview with an employer … and this whole process could take over three months.

I'm sure life does not have to be this slow, cumbersome and difficult … and it's not. Meet, shake hands, chat a while and the job's mine. We both know, at the instant of meeting, that we're perfect for each other so why not just get on with it. And we did. Thank God (and John) for simplicity and decisiveness!

So, if you have a book about business - marketing, leadership, recoveries, accounting, spirituality, set-up etc etc - let me know as I may be able to publish it to the world for you.

And now back to Arthur's story, continued from the previous blog …

"C'mon ya bugger, open!" demanded Halee but the door continued to open slowly, quite unmoved by her threats. Within seconds, which seemed like hours, the door had opened enough for Halee to slip through and Mary and Ahmed followed her down the steps.

"Go left Halee, go left!" ordered Ahmed, and they did until they got to the first intersection.

"Which way now?" asked Mary, panting heavily, bringing up the rear.
"I don't know. Just get out of here!" said Ahmed. "Any way."

"Hey, wait up … ah ha ah ha ah ha … please," pleaded Mary, panting and clutching the briefcase while struggling to keep up. "I don't do running."

"We can't let them get us now!" said Halee, slowing down with her hand out like a relay runner ready to take the baton. "Give me the case if you like …"

"Not on your Nellie … ah ha ah ha ah ha … Halee!" said Mary, determined to keep hold of her dignity and the case, both of which seemed to be slipping. "Can't we hide … ah ha ah ha ah ha … hide somewhere here, Ahmed … ah ha ah ha ah ha … you must know someone here … ah ha ah ha ah ha …"

"I … I don't really know, Miss Collins," said Ahmed, stopping round the corner in a shop alcove.

"Come on Ahmed, this … ah ha ah ha ah ha … this is your territory," said Mary, following them in. "You must have a friend or café owner who'll take us in for a mo'."

"Well, yes I do but I'm not sure it's quite the right thing …" said Ahmed, looking conflicted.

"Right thing? Right blooming thing, Ahmed?" whispered Mary hoarsely as her breathing started to return to normal. "Look, you genteel Englishman, our lives may be at risk, Sam may be at risk … what the heck's right about that?"
_____________________

The phone cut sharply through their riviere. Arthur leapt up to answer it, his nerves still a little raw from the morning's events. He lifted the receiver.

"Hello Arthur, old chap …" It went dead. He knew who it was, immediately, but his thoughts and actions failed him, momentarily. Joan came into the dining room to see him staring into space with the phone still held by his ear. James Bond, of course, would have leapt into the fray and done something dramatic and saved the world, or a part of it, in an instant. However, Arthur's batteries were flat.

"What is it dear?" asked Joan.

"It's Lord Atkinson, dear. He's in trouble," said Arthur.
"The one who …"

"Yes, the one I met this morning," said Arthur. "It was a call for help."

"Well we'd better go and help him then," said Joan, clapping her hands as a teacher would, to get her pupils into line. Arthur jumped and looked around as if seeing the room for the first time.

"Oh Arthur, you do seem to have run out of poof, don't you?" Joan said, embracing him. "It's been a hell of a day … it's been a hell of a few weeks, really. And you've mastered it all so well. You really are my hero, Arthur. My hero and my love."

"Oh Joan," was all Arthur could manage before the tears started rolling. He wanted to embrace her forever, for the world to go away and leave him in peace. Yes, he thought, he did love Joan, this lovely, admiring and supportive woman in his arms. He really must tell her some time.

"Thank you, Joan, thank you," he said. However, he thought, right now Lord Atkinson needs help of some sort and so one must rally one's forces. "That's lovely Joan. But now I must go."

"Oh no you don't, Arthur Bayly!" said Joan, standing back with her hands on his shoulders. "You don't think you're going to rush off on your charger and leave your poor damsel here, waiting and pining, do you?"

"Uh …"

"You silly man! I'm coming too!" said Joan cheerfully. "We're in this together, my lover!"

"Well, if you think …"

"Too right I think so! Let's muster our troops, shall we?" said Joan, leading him back into the lounge. "Lord Atkinson needs our help so who wants to join us?"

Everyone leapt up as one with fervent cries of assent.

"But, Dottie, are you sure you want to come along?" asked Arthur. "It could be dangerous."

"Arthur dear, I've never had such fun with my clothes on!" said Dottie, laughing. "I may be an old woman but you don't get rid of me that easy!" Everyone laughed, except Dominik who seemed to be trying to make out what Dottie meant about having her clothes on.

"And you, Toby?" asked Joan.

"I'm only half-armed but most of me works and do you think I'm only here for half the action?" asked Toby. "Besides, I've done enough damage so I'd like to make amends if I can."

"Hang on, Dad," said Martin quickly. "This is a matter for the police isn't it? Shouldn't we call them first, surely?"

"No Martin and I'm sorry but I don't have time to explain, right now," said Arthur. "However, Lord Atkinson specifically asked me not to involve the police if at all possible. It seems there's a leak, an informer, there who is not after our best interests."

"Right, if you say so, Dad," said Martin, uncertainly.

"Now, first, Arthur, that file seems to be awfully valuable," said Dottie. "Shall I hide it in my house in case yours gets raided?"

"Mmm, I hadn't thought of that. Good idea, Dottie," said Arthur.

"I'd take my car, Dad, but I have to pick the kids up from the child minder in a few hours and we don't know how long we're going to be, do we?" said Martin.

"You're right, Martin, but why don't you ring Emily and see if she can pick them up," said Joan.

"Oh hardly, Mother, I don't really even know her," said Martin, looking a little flushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment